Monday, July 2, 2012

5 Minutes With Graham-Kapowsin WR/DB, Kahlil Dawson

     Having never seen Kahlil Dawson live, I was very excited when I noticed he was in attendance during the WR/DB session at the Northwest Stars Camp. You can watch all the highlight videos available, but getting to see that player live is what really counts. After watching Dawson dominate the 1-on-1 portion of the session, I knew I needed to speak with him. When the session was over he had 3-4 other guys around him so I decided to contact him via twitter to see if he wanted to do a quick interview. He was more than happy to talk and this is what he had to say.


HSFootballWA: You had a very nice day yesterday. What did the coaches have to say to you afterwards?

Kahlil Dawson: All the coaches said I had a pretty good day. They told me the things I needed to work and improve on and the things that I am pretty good at already. A lot of the coaches said they are interested in me and hopefully I will get more offers based on my performance yesterday.

HSFootballWA: I would assume those coaches are looking at you as a DB more than a WR?

Kahlil Dawson: It is a mixture. Most of the coaches, since my size, they are looking at me as a DB. A lot of people see me as a versatile athlete so they could use me in the slot or the return game. Most are as a DB.

HSFootballWA: In January, you were invited to the U.S. Army All-American Combine in San Antonio, Texas. What was that experience like?

Kahlil Dawson: That was a great experience because I got to compare myself to the talent across the whole country. I got to see what people are like from the east coast and got to see more of the talent from the west coast. The whole setup was great with the hotels we were staying in and we got to talk to the all-american football players that were participating in the game. As far as the drills, I got a lot of learning in and then of course the 1-on-1 was great because I got to go against the best competition around. It was a great experience and not a lot of people can say they got to do that. I am one of the lucky few.

HSFootballWA: A couple weeks later you picked up your first offer from Wyoming, have you had a chance to speak with coach Dave Christensen?

Kahlil Dawson: Yeah, I have talked to him a lot. I am supposed to be setting up a visit or a time that I can drive up there to check out the place for myself. I have heard a lot of things about how it is a very nice area so my family and I are probably gonna take a trip there next week, unofficial to see it for ourselves.

HSFootballWA: Wyoming has been offering a lot of kids from our area recently, have you had a chance to talk with maybe D.J. May or Trent Sewell?

Kahlil Dawson: Yeah, that was something I was going to mention. They are supposed to come back in a week or two. If I go up there and see them, I will definitely talk to them. If they come back here, I will definitely discuss with them how they feel about the place and get their views on Wyoming and stuff do. So that is what I plan on doing, talking to them to see how they like the place.

HSFootballWA: So I will admit that in doing a little research on you, I jumped onto Rivals.com and one of the first things I see is a Nebraska logo. That instantly got me excited because I love my Cornhuskers. Is their interest from them?

Kahlil Dawson: They sent me one or two things in the mail. The person (from Rivals) wanted to know who I got mail from lately. At that time that was a school that I had heard from lately, but I don't think I have a chance to get an offer from there. It is a great program, but at the time I think I got one or two things in the mail so I put it out there because they had asked me a question about it.

HSFootballWA: Last season you guys started out 0-3 before getting a 10-7 win over Curtis. This season you start with a 6 hour drive to Post Falls, Idaho. What do you know about Post Falls and what do you look to accomplish?

Kahlil Dawson: From what I have heard, Post Falls has a very good program. They they have a very good, physical team, but we are very physical as well. I think we are going to surprise a lot of teams this year. We are very excited to get the opportunity to go there. We are the first class at GK (Graham-Kapowsin) to travel out of state to play.

HSFootballWA: Speaking of being the first class at GK, when I say October 5th, do you know what that means?

Kahlil Dawson: I am guessing the day we play Bethel?

HSFootballWA: That is correct. What do you think about possibly being the first class to get a victory over the Braves?


Kahlil Dawson: If that happens it would be great. It would be great for our community and our program. We don't want to be known as a class that couldn't get it done either. If we could get that done it would be great, but that is just another game for us. We are gonna go one game at a time and our focus is on Post Falls first. When the time comes to play Bethel, it will be a game you will want to watch. We are gonna be ready to go, but so will they. They've got a good team.

HSFootballWA: Last year you guys lost in the play-in round vs Bellarmine, the year before you got into state but lost to Arlington in the first round. What do those experiences do for you in terms on potentially getting to the Tacoma Dome this season?

Kahlil Dawson: Those were both learning experiences. My teammates and I have have watched the film from both of those games many times to see what we could've done better, what we did good and where we can get better so we can learn from our mistakes for the future. It is motivation because we've had teams in the past that we feel like could've gone to the dome, but we came up short.

HSFootballWA: I think you guys got a good shot this season. The SPSL is always tough and especially with Federal Way being very good again this season. Did you know you guys play four of your first five games on Thursday a night?

Kahlil Dawson: Yeah, we just got our schedule and its just something you gotta deal with.

HSFootballWA: Kahlil, it was great talking to you and we will keep in tough this season. Thank you for your time.

Kahlil Dawson: Thank you, I appreciate it.

---

My Thoughts:

     This is a kid that gets it. From his game on the field to the way he speaks during an interview, he has it all. With good speed, good hands and great natural instincts, he has the ability to shutdown his side of the field. His return skills are some of the best, if not the best, in the state and cannot be ignored. His ability to read and setup his block is as good as anyone in the state. That being said, I view him as a DB. His game continues to grow and I have no doubt that he will eventually be a great college football player. Below I have posted links to highlight videos and even a video from the All-American Combine which is a must see. He really does play very well against some of the best WR's in the country.

     I will admit that my love for the Nebraska Cornhuskers may have got the best of me with one question. If you have read my blog in the past, you know it does that from time to time, but I had to ask. I know any of you would've done the same if your team had been on his list.

---

Links:

Click Here For Highlights From His 2011, Junior Season

Click Here For Highlights From Part 1 Of His 2010, Sophomore Season

Click Here For Highlights From Part 2 Of His 2010, Sophomore Season

Click Here For His Army All-American Video

---

     In closing, I would like to thank you for reading my blog. Check back soon for more content. You can also follow me on Twitter @HSFootballWA. You can also Click Here for my Facebook page featuring links and photo albums from stadiums I have visited around our beautiful state.

     Questions and comments are always welcomed. If you wish to keep it private between you and I, feel free to drop me a line by emailing Ringerland@gmail.com.

     I am always looking to help get your sons name out to the general public. If you feel he is being over looked, let me know. Send me an email with any available information you can give me, the more the better. Also be sure to send me a link to any videos where I can see his play. I will take care of the rest.


No comments:

Post a Comment