Saturday, July 7, 2012

In the coming weeks...


     Things have been really going well with this blog over the last few weeks. New opportunities continue to come my way and it is all very exciting to me. I have nobody to thank more than the players and coaches. From the players responding on Twitter to the coaches that are always very open with me about their team. In all honesty, this is just a blog and no player or coach really has a reason to respond to me. This is all very cool because in the end, I am still a fan.

     In this blog post I will layout a few things I have planned for the coming month before the first games of the season. I have a few ideas I want to toss out there with hopes of a few players and/or coaches joining in.

---


Passing Leagues:

     In the next month or so a few teams around the state will begin hosting 7-on-7 type passing leagues. This information is hard for me to find as I basically rely on you guys to inform me. Some teams will have it on their website within a calender and if I have the time, I will sometimes go searching. Frankly, I don't have time to be doing a lot of that and need some help. I contacted coach Dave Miller of Lakes High School and he was very helpful with information of the Lakes Passing League at the end of this month. I hope to attend as many games as possible, but I can't guarantee I will be able to attend any.

     If you or your sons school is playing in a passing league, I want to know about it. You can contact me through email at Ringerland@gmail.com or on Twitter @HSFootballWA. Either way, I need to know. If you can just tell me who the school hosting the league is, I can typically do the rest. I just need to know which coach I need to get in tough with.

---

Fall Camps:

     When fall camps open on August 15th, I want to be there. I would like to attend as many practices as possible and preview your school. If you are a coach, please contact me with your schedule and we can set something up. I would like to talk to the head coach for just a few minutes in person before or after the practice to get a few quotes to use here for the blog. I would obviously like to talk to any players the coach feels deserves recognition before the upcoming season. It is all up to the coach how I go about writing my preview of their team. I know what can and can't be said in terms of a preview. It is one thing to say "They will be using a 4-3 defense", it is another to go into schemes and philosophies. When we talk for a few minutes you can tell anything you want, just make sure to tell me if you don't want something posted here. I have coached football and understand how coaches heads work and would never do anything to potentially break the trust of a coach.

     If you are a player and you read/like my blog, it is simple. Pass it along to your coach. Let him know that you would like to get me out to see your team before the season starts. Do that and let me know, I will put you in the preview of your school.

---

Trinity Trojans @ Bellevue Wolverines:

     August 30th can't get here soon enough, but before it does, I would like to do a big preview of the game. The Bellevue side is not that tough for me as I am very familiar with the team and have the ability to get more info if needed. The Trinity Trojans are a bit of an unknown to me though. I have noticed recently that I have gained a few followers on Twitter that are from Texas. You are the people I am going to rely on here. If there is a writer from a newspaper that does a great job covering the Trojans, I want to know. If there is a sports radio station that would be able to help me, I want to know. Who are the players I need to ask about? Who are the coaches I should contact? What are any tidbits about the team I should know? Other than the dance they do. The game is less than two months away and I plan on beginning to put the bulk of my post together in the next few weeks.

---

Season Prediction Game:

     I will admit right now, prediction games is not my specialty. Sure it is easy to pick the Bellevue game each week. I can even tell you I would've correctly picked Skyline every game last year, except for Eastlake. When I did make game predictions last year, I WAS HORRIBLE! Almost a jinx for teams.I picked Juanita, Inglemoor ripped them apart. I picked Kennedy Catholic, Archbishop Murphy dominated them, even had the QB's mom record me on her video camera at the game admitting I was wrong.

     My plan for a prediction game is fairly simple. I would like to get 5-6 players willing to play along. Each week I will send an email with the 4 games of the week from leagues we all know, SPSL, KingCo, Metro, ect. I will also send out one random game each week from a league almost none of us know, 1B Northeast (8man football), 1A Caribou Trail, 2A Great Northern. One game each week will most likely be a guess, even for me. I will keep weekly standings and hopefully even allow the readers to get involved by sending in their picks.

     As far as players I am looking for. I would like to get 1 from each of these general areas. 1 from each of these areas, KingCo, Metro, Wesco, Narrows and 2 from the SPSL. Now for instance, when I say Wesco, that doesn't mean the kid needs to play in Wesco. I want him to be from that area. I would be more than happy to say get Billy Green from King's High School in north Seattle to join this game. I use the big conferences as a guide more than anything. I would like for the players to be 2013 graduates, aka. Seniors, but it is not completely necessary. This is only because I would like to use new players each season. Would I like high profile names? Of course. That doesn't mean I will only pick the high profile players though.

     If you would like to join, send me an email or talk to me via Twitter. This is a way to get your name out there as I will profile the players helping me with the game.

---

College Recruiting:

     In the last few weeks I have been contacting a few college coaches attempting to secure an interview for my blog. It is a much tougher process than you may think. More often than not, I have to talk to about 10 different people before finally getting to hear anything from the coach himself. I have secured one interview and will be doing that in the next week or so. The general idea is to give these coaches a platform to speak to the players in our area about their school. I have 8-10 questions about the school, program and coach himself that I feel are good questions to help a player gauge his interest in that particular school. If you have a school you think should be part of that, let me know. I am always willing to at least consider any school, at any level and anywhere.

---

Player Interviews:

     Last week I spoke with Kahlil Dawson from Graham-Kapowsin and received some great feedback from the readers. I would like to do more of these, but obviously have very limited resources. Some players can be very tough to get in contact with. I get very luck when it comes to finding players on Twitter. Sometimes I will go through one players followers in search of names I might recognize as football players. Other times I get lucky and they find me. I think one player a week is a very realistic goal. Now it is just a matter of finding the players I want.

---

     Thank you for reading my blog. If you know a player that you think deserves more recognition, send me an email about them. Links to articles, highlight videos, stats are all very good starts for me. From there I will do the research I need to give that player the recognition he deserves. The best email I ever received to help promote a player had links, stories and even a coaches quote. It was very well presented and after a seeing that player, it led to me wanting to interview him, which I will be doing soon. There is no such thing as too much information on a player.

     The best way for me to grow this blog is by word of mouth. Please to pass the link along and retweet the links on Twitter as much as possible. A retweet takes about 3 seconds to do. I could name about 30 useless things I do a day that are longer than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment