Thursday, September 15, 2011

Tahoma @ Kentwood Preview, Sept. 15th...

The Tahoma Bears travel to French Field to do battle with the Kentwood Conquerors. Both teams are 1-1 on the season after road losses last week, Tahoma to South Kitsap and Kentwood to Jefferson. The two teams met last season with Kentwood dominating Tahoma 49-3. I sent emails to both coaches, even had to toss in a College Football question to Coach Davis of Tahoma, I got responses from both coaches with a few interesting answers.

---


Kentwood Conquerors

The Conks were picked by the coaches to finish first in the SPSL North, and they might still do that. Losing to Jefferson last week has changed the path they must take to finish at the top though. The margin for error is slim as they still must play Auburn, Kentlake and Kentridge. The Conks are very talented and very young at the same time. They do have some size but not nearly what they have had in years past.

Coach Rex Norris was nice enough to respond to my email and answered every question I asked...

WHSF: If I were a fan watching Kentwood for the first time, who are three players I would want to keep an eye out for and what can you tell me about those players?

RN: Matt Hubbard - SR running back - lot of speed - strong runner - plays in the secondary as well.
Visa Thatch - SR fullback - powerful runner - 500+ squatter - plays middle linebacker
Chasen Kalua-Fuimaono - JR running back - powerful runner - plays outside linebacker and dline

WHSF: What would you consider to be your strength on offense?

RN: We have depth in the backfield this year.

WHSF: What would you consider to be your strenght on defense?

RN: Team speed.

WHSF:What would you consider to be the 3 keys to beating Tahoma on Thursday night?

RN: Get them out of their two back set - they have a big line and really good runners.

WHSF: You are two games into your season, what things do you need to do better to be successful?

RN: Mature as a team - be more physical and expect to make plays. We can only get that with more game experience.

WHSF: What is it gonna take to get to the Tacoma Dome this season?

RN: I think it will take a lot of work and commitment by everyone in our program. We have the talent we just need to understand that it takes a lot to get to that level and it is hard to get players to understand that at ages 16-18

---


Tahoma Bears

The Tahoma Bears are an interesting team. In all honesty they are a team that might be good enough to win the SPSL North. The Bears might have the most balanced offense in the SPSL. In last weeks loss they had over 500 yards of offense, including 100 yard rushing efforts from Damon Funk and Beau Riggs. Quarterback Shane Nelson was 19/35 for 217 yards and one touchdown. If the Bears can get some defense they might just have the horses to make a dent in the SPSL North.

Head Coach Tony Davis, who last season picked up his 100th career win, was nice enough to respond to my email. I will admit I let my inner Nebraska Cornhusker come out when I found out that he had played college football for the Missouri Tigers. I would also like to make a bit of a note here. Coach Davis' answer to the first question is one I normally say "Way to dodge that question", I think he answered it perfectly....


WHSF: If I were a fan watching Tahoma for the first time, who are three players I would want to keep an eye out for and what can you tell me about those players?

TD: It would be tough to limit it to three and it would go against our philosophy of team. We have the ability to be more balanced on offense than we’ve been in a while and on defense we are all about the importance of the 11 kids on the field playing as a unit and the subs on the sidelines staying locked in.

WHSF: What would you consider to be your strength on offense?

TD: This year, balance

WHSF: What would you consider to be your strength on defense?

TD: Their ability to play together

WHSF: What would you consider to be the 3 keys to beating Kentwood on Thursday night?

TD: Protect the ball, be physical, and make positive plays in the kicking game

WHSF: You are two games into your season, what things do you need to do better to be successful?

TD: Protect the football and get better each week in all areas.

WHSF: What is it gonna take to get to the Tacoma Dome this season?

TD: I’m old fashioned… We take things one week at a time. we need to get better each week. Our kids have had a good off season and have responded well to the things we’ve asked them to do.

WHSF: With the Huskies going to Nebraska in a few days, I believe you were on the Missouri team that lost 33-23 in Lincoln in 1984. If so, what do you remember about playing the Huskers in Lincoln?

TD: Loudest place I’ve ever played! Great setting for college FB. Never seen so much red in one place before in my life!

---

First, I would like to thank both coaches for their time. Without coaches responding to my emails, it would make my previews very boring. I will never act like I know every player on every team, so sometimes it is nice to get a bit of a preview for myself as well.

---

Game Notes and Links

- In the preseason coaches poll Kentwood was picked to finish first, Tahoma fifth.

- The last two seasons have seen Tahoma finish with a losing record back to back years for the first time since 1997-98.

- Tahoma Head Coach Tony Davis was drafted by the Seahawks in the 1985 NFL Draft.

- In 2005 the Seattle Times had a great piece about Coach Davis, read that Right Here.

- Right Here is a great piece the Kent Reporter had as a preview for Kentwood Football.

- If you don't read that preview of the Conks you are missing not only a good preview but one of the great streaks in our state. The reporter writes "... the Conquerors have never posted a losing record — not a single time in the 30 years since the doors to the school first opened."

---

I will be tweeting live from French Field tonight. You can find me by searching @HSFootballWA.

---

As of right now I do not plan on attending any games friday night as I have a few other things going on. If I am able to get to any games I will most likely be at Everett Memorial Stadium to see Marysville-Pilchuck @ Cascade and Snohomish @ Jackson.

No comments:

Post a Comment